Quick Cork Fact
Cork is a 100% natural, renewable, recyclable and biodegradable material that is obtained through an environmentally friendly harvesting process.
Trees are not cut down to harvest cork, rather, the bark is stripped by hand every 9-12 years. Cork oak trees can live up to 300 years!
Approximately 6.6 million acres of Mediterranean cork forest extend across Portugal, Spain, Algeria, Morocco, Italy, Tunisia and France. These oak forests support one of the world's highest levels of forest biodiversity, second only to the Amazonian Rainforest.
Opting for screw caps and plastic stoppers directly causes the loss of sustainable livelihoods as the cork forests are a vital source of income for thousands of families.
There is enough cork in the cork forests of Portugal and Spain to last more than 100 years. The introduction of new products, such as composite corks, allows even better utilization of existing cork resources, using granulated cork that can be obtained from smaller pieces of raw cork otherwise unusable in the production of conventional punched cork.
- The Andersons Stores, - All locations
- August Cellars, Newberg, OR
- Beggars Banquet Wine Shop, Orange, VA
- Bending Branch Winery, Comfort, TX
- Bow St. Market, Freeport, ME
- Cafe Roux, Leawood, KA
- Calvert Wine & Spirits, Hunt Valley, MD
- Cellar XV, Ridgefield, CT
- Crushed Fine Wine, Mt. Pleasant, SC
- The Eco Floor Store by Hillcrest, Surrey, BC
- Food Front Hillsdale, Portland, OR
- Grape Expectations, Denver, CO
- Grape & Grains, Barrington, RI
- House+Earth, Austin, TX
- Idle Hands Craft Ales, LLC, Everett, MA
- Kornerstone Bistro, Wilmington, NC
- Leelanau Peninsula Wineries, MI – All locations
- Liner Elsen Wine Merchants, Portland, OR
- Murrieta's Well, Livermore, CA
- New Seasons Markets, OR - All locations
- Napa Valley Vintners, Napa Valley, CA
- Old Shore Vineyards, Buchanan, MI
- Outpost Natural Foods, WI - All locations
- Ovino Market, Hood River, OR
- PCC Natural Markets, WA – All locations
- Pasta Works, Portland, OR – All locations
- Poppies Market, Brevard, NC
- Roth's Fresh Markets, OR - All Locations
- Sedona Recycles, Sedona, AZ
- Sno-Isle Natural Foods Co-op, Everett, WA
- Sojourns, Birmingham, AL
- Taj Hotel Boston, Boston, MA
- Tamas Estates, Livermore, CA
- Unita Brewing Co., Salt Lake City, UT
- Wente Vineyards, Livermore, CA
- Whole Foods Markets - All 300 stores in the U.S., Canada and the U.K.
- Willamette Valley Vineyards, Turner & McMinnville, OR
- Wine World Warehouse, Seattle, WA
- WISMA, IL - All Locations